- Philadelphia (69-49) ---
- Florida (64-57) - 6.5 Games Back
- Atlanta (64-57) - 6.5 Games Back
Wild Card Standings
- Colorado (68-53) ---
- San Francisco (66-55) - 2.0 Games Back
- Florida (64-57) - 4.0 Games Back
- Atlanta (64-57) - 4.0 Games Back
- Chicago (61-58) - 6.0 Games Back
"Spaced Out"The Marlins saw the Colorado Rockies, Philadelphia Phillies and the Atlanta Braves strengthen their positions in the playoff race this series as they lost 2 of 3 to the Houston Astros. They also saw their streak of 10-hit games come to an end at 15. They were three games away from the record of 18, held by the St. Louis Browns.
The Marlins looked good going into the rubber match with their Ace Josh Johnson on the mound, but Johnson failed to get into a groove and was tagged for 7 hits and 4 runs as he failed to get out of the 5 inning for the first time since July 1st.
This upcoming series is crucial for both Atlanta and Florida. Both teams are sitting at 64-57 and back 4 games in the Wild Card race. A sweep by either team will pretty much stick a fork in the other's playoff hopes. Philadelphia continues to extend their lead in the East and with Pedro Martinez they are not showing any signs of slowing down.
- Florida is plagued by injuries to Nick Johnson (Hamstring) and Jorge Cantu (Neck). Neither is expected to make an appearance this coming series against Atlanta.
- Gaby Sanchez went 0-3 in his first Major League start.
- After pitching 2.2 hitless innings last night, Christian Martinez was optioned to Jacksonville to make room for the return of Anibal Sanchez. He will start against Atlanta tonight.
Games to Follow
- Florida vs. Atlanta
- Philadelphia vs. New York
- San Francisco vs. Colorado